The Art of Teeth Whitening
Our Santa Rosa, CA office serves Sonoma County & the Bay Area including San Francisco, Petaluma, Napa
Republished from the website of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry website, www.AACD.com
Statistics reveal that Americans place a high value on their smile. According to an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® national survey:
- Virtually all adults (99.7%) believe a smile is an important social asset.
- 96% of adults believe an attractive smile makes a person more appealing to members of the opposite sex.
- Three-quarters (74%) of adults feels an unattractive smile can hurt a person’s chances for career success.
- And when respondents were asked, “What would you most like to improve about your smile?” The most common response was: Whiter & Brighter Teeth.
Teeth Whitening Procedures Can Help:
- Lighten coffee-stained teeth.
- Remove cigarette and tobacco discolorations.
- Correct yellowing in teeth due to aging.
Choices for Whiter Teeth
As in any dental procedure, the AACD recommends that you consult with your dentist to find out which teeth whitening procedure is best for you. The following are two options for whitening your teeth.
In-office Power Whitening
- A teeth whitening gel containing a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide is applied to the teeth.
- In-office teeth whitening often can be accomplished in one visit to the dentist.
- Home whitening may be recommended to enhance the effects.
At-home Dentist-supervised Teeth Whitening
- The patient wears a custom-fitted mouth tray containing a whitening gel for a few hours each day or night.
- The trays can be adjusted to lighten individual teeth.
- The average patient will wear mouth trays one to two weeks. More severe stains can often be improved with extended use of a home whitening system.
AACD Dentist Supervised Treatments vs. Over-the-Counter Kits
Numerous over-the-counter teeth whitening products are now available, but dentist supervised teeth whitening remains the safest and most effective method for brightening your smile. Here are some key reasons why you should always consult with your AACD dentist.
Proper Fitting Mouth Trays
Often, over-the-counter whitening trays do not fit the patient’s mouth properly. Improperly fitting trays may leak the whitening gel and can result in gum irritation and a less effective treatment.
More Comfortable Solutions
With today’s new dentist supervised systems, even patients with sensitive teeth can undergo teeth whitening treatment.
About the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry is the largest international dental organization dedicated to advancing the art and science of cosmetic dentistry. Founded in 1984, the AACD has over 6000 members in the United States and more than 50 countries around the globe. Members of the Academy include cosmetic and reconstructive dentists, dental laboratory technicians, educators, researchers, students, hygienists, corporations and dental assistants. AACD members receive continuing education through lectures, workshops, and publications in order to keep up-to-date with all of the advancements in cosmetic dental techniques and technology.
The AACD is committed to excellence in cosmetic dentistry. To find out more about teeth whitening and cosmetic dentistry, call the AACD toll-free at 800.543.9220, or visit us online at www.aacd.com.